By using this website, you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree, please do not use the site.
When you use this website, you create and upload content - for instance, biological observations, photos of nature, your descriptions of it, and messages to the forums. By putting this information on the site, you are saying that:
- the content is yours, or you have the permission of the owner to agree to this usage, and
- you agree that the content can be used on this site, and
- you agree that your biological observations can be made publicly available for wider use.
- Biological observations collected through this site will be stored securely at the Biological Records Centre and made available to experts for verification.
- Verified observations will be made publicly available via the NBN Gateway and/or the NBN Atlas platforms.
- Having submitted records to this site, please do not submit them to other online recording schemes or other organisations. Records will be made available via the NBN Gateway to regional environmental data centres, conservation organisations, natural history societies and those with a legitimate interest in the data.
- Your contact details will be held in a database at the Biological Records Centre and will only be used to contact you if there is a query about the verification of your wildlife observations. Your contact details will not be passed on to any third parties without your permission.
- The name(s) of recorders of any of your observations will be stored as part of the record and may be made publicly available via the NBN Gateway along with the species name, date and location of the record.
- If you submit a record of a species that could be vulnerable to disturbance, collection or persecution in the wild, the record will be flagged as ‘sensitive’ and will not be made publicly available.
- Data will be stored in this platform under either a OGL, CC0, CC-BY, or CC-BY-NC data licence. Each license dictates the terms under which the data can be used. All records with no licence assigned, will be automatically stored under a CC-BY licence.